Monday, February 8, 2010

May I Suggest...


The Inspiration:





















I have been beyond obsessed with this look from Balmain since it starting popping up not only on the editorial pages of magazines but as a clear inspiration for a lot of the early spring street wear looks that I'm noticing. I thought it may be fun to put together my own "on the cheap" alternative...
While the tattered brilliance and piled on hardware give the runway look an amazing edge, I'm aiming for something a little more 'everyday'....















American Apparel Shiny Legging-$46




A fun stand-in for faux leather pants/leggings and a versatile part of my own wardrobe..










American Apparel Unisex Fine Jersey V-neck-$19


I, like most of the people I know, have about a billion of these AA tees in their closet at home. I went with this particular tee (in Melange Green) because the cut is a bit relaxed and the color will pop a little against the muted shade of the jacket (below). I personally like my top a little long if I'm wearing leggings in place of pants, just a preference... PS the more you wash this shirt, the softer and more comfy it gets. After you're over playing with this look, you'll have a basic that will last for years ..









Forever 21 A-Ten-Hut Military Jacket-$24.80




This jacket captures the military/nautical vibe of the Balmain without the elements that make it too much for everyday wear (no exaggerated Balmain shoulders, no over indulgent embellishments) .. I got a very similar one a few years ago at Target and I find that I pull it out of my closet at least a few times every spring..

























Add a military inspired brooch like this antique (super easy to find online or in an antique shop)




Add a jumble of necklaces, pair with the obligatory chunky black ankle boots and GO!

0 comments: